Pages

Sunday, 8 November 2009

What is Concept art and Why do we use it

Whats really quite annoying is the fact that I did this post and saved it as a draft at the start of the project and messed it right up. Basically this post is a short description of what concept art is, why we use it, a few examples and some of my favorite artists which a very talented in this area.

One of my main hobbies, even though its considered sad and geeky, which is a totally crap perception, is playing and studying video games. I have been interested in playing games from the age of three but its only over the last six years were I have become very interested in how they are made. This is why I have done a video games course in the past and also why I had chosen to participate in CG Arts and Animation.

One of many and more important pre production stages of producing a video game or a film is conceptual art. Concept art is a collection of illustrations which are created to show a visual representation of an Idea or design.

John Wallin Liberto - John is a freelance concept artists and illustrators who has worked on video games, films and also T.V. Below are some of his work mainly from gears of war.





 

I especially love the last image which is the image above. My favorite part of this image would have to be the sky. I cant get enough of the way the light bursts through the clouds almost like a huge explosion about to happen. Another thing is the way the light blurs building out ever so slightly in the background giving it an enchanted look. 

Final Fantasy concept art has got to be one of my favorite selections of art I have ever looked at. There are two or three artists I love which do character and environmental design for the final fantasy series and more.
Below demonstrates a few images from an artist called Akihiko Yoshida.

 

 

Outstanding work! The image of the group of people which is above this image is not as relevant because it doesn't focus on the countryside as much but on the characters. I added the image to show you could still show both in one picture even though they still take focus off of the background. The next image I think is amazing. Everything fits so well within this concept. All of the colors blend in to each other a create a montage explosion of beauty which takes my attention and fixes it onto this one image.  

3 comments:

Sam Hayes said...

You play video games? Thats sad and geeky..


Two days until Modern Warfare 2! It is going to seriously threaten this project.

Adam Bailey said...

lol i know, but i must be good, i will finish this project in style but ill still play that. Let me guess sam how much will urs cost lol being on the pc n all or are you getting a console version?

Sam Hayes said...

I'm getting it on PC, even though they've messed up the multiplayer. I'm hoping to only pay about £35ish for it, but I heard there are a few special offers around, so I'll have a look andmight be able to get it for less than £30.

Post a Comment

 
Powered by Blogger