Pages

Sunday, 8 November 2009

The Haunting

Directed in 1963 by a man called Robert Wise. The Haunting is a very subtle horror movie set in a mansion called "Hill House". The house has a very dark history of murder, suicide and circumstantual death. At the start of the film we meet a very obsessed character known in the film as Dr. John Markway(Richard Johnson). The doctor is very interested in "Hill House" because of its supernatural manifestations. John Markway decides that he should lease the house off of the owner, put together a group of people with supernatural back storys and spend time reviewing the house whilst living amongst it.



The image which is above is a film still of the Haunting which shows "Hill House". You can see how the production team worked very well to create such a stunning shot which depicts the genre very well.



2 comments:

tutorphil said...

hmmm - this critique doesn't evidence your sharpening analytical skills; in fact, it represents just the kind of generic observation that plagues written assignments... okay, so what ELSE did you pick up on during the film? Remember, be specific always and you need to find proof; goto www.metacritic.com or the rotten tomatoes website and find some reviews/observations/insights to support and enrich your own! HOW did the design of the house drive and focus the narrative? HOW did the look of the film communicate thematically? Do you see? What you've given me above is a description of the plot and a general observation about 'genre' - specifically what do you mean? I don't like blancmanges! :-(

Adam Bailey said...

sorry Phil, I have'nt even scraped the surface yet :), I was half way through, posted it so it would keep a space in my blog and way going back to it this evening. Dont worry I totally intend to do it, I wouldnt leave it blank after my thoughts on it lol.

Post a Comment

 
Powered by Blogger