Pages

Thursday, 15 October 2009

Update On Final Essay Idea

Over the last week I feel like i have become really emersed in this project. Im on a roll, I feel like I could'nt get going in this project but know I have began to enjoy the blog. I find it really helpfull to look back at my research and gain a knowledge on the subject portraiture.
To be totally honest I was really struggerling to find a starting structure for the essay. Know I have been doing research for the essay and project I don't want to stop. Im even already looking foward to the next project and we hav'nt even finished this one. Thats wierd, I think after my constructive critism it has given me a new lease of life for my work.


As i was saying i was given an idea for my essay and with the research I have been analysing, what I have put together is an idea of the soul, is it connected to a portrait or not. I thought about this question and went back through the research I had gathered over the past 3 weeks and found something I would really enjoy putting into the essay. Therefore what I decided on doing was analysing 2 portraits of "Myra Hindley" and explaining how an image could contain a soul but others may not. Just to enlighten you and give a quick example looking back at the two pictures of her some might say the mug shot image she doesnt have a soul but the image before she does. This may include present examples such as the women who murdered her daughters and her mug shots and photographs previous to the murders.
Wish me luck ;)

2 comments:

tutorphil said...

Good luck!

But, in order to put your ideas into context, you might need to refer to the following ideas - physiognomy (the psuedo-science that suggests that a person's 'character' (soul?) can be understood and deciphered from their facial features alone (look at Johann Kaspar Lavater for more info and Francis Galton's criminal composites), and also check out the superstitions that gather around human representation more generally; see

http://www.csicop.org/superstition/library/mirrors/

Adam Bailey said...

Thanks phil, ill be sure to have a look and have a read of that book.

Post a Comment

 
Powered by Blogger