Pages

Monday, 12 October 2009

Idea 3 - Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde

I just want to say although this post doesn't sound as bad as it actually was I may put a more true less covered story of  what actually went on. But for now i needed to get my concepts up so you'll have to bare with me. 

Anger is an emotion that everyone feels, some feel it more than others and some cant control it. People who feel anger express it differently. Whilst some people bottle it up, others express it through agressive rage.
The one thing people fail to remeber about anger is not to bottle it up, and this was my mistake, a little piece of my life I live to regret.

When we bottle up anger it can result in uncontrolable expressions of anger such as passive displays of agressive behaviour. This usually occurs when we don't confront our problems at the time of the problem.
I hate telling this story because it brings back real bad memories, I just hope you dont mind me going into the deepest of detail about it. 
When I was at the start of secondary school in year 7 I was badly bullied by a boy called jake. Im not sure why but he found me an easy target. Everyday I would get on the bus and without fail he would give me all kinds of abusive comments, about family, friends and my image. This went on for months and months but as time went on it started to get worse and the abuse became nothing compared to what this boy used to do. He was 15 and I was 11 and I never challenged him because it wasn't in my nature. I put this bullying into the back of my mind and didn't really deal with it. I would say mentally he really messed me up. I felt low, If anyone has ever been bullied before then you can understand what im talking about.
It took a while of very good acting but in the end I could'nt hide it from my parents and something had to be done. The case of the bullying was so bad in the end we found the only way to solve the problem was to get the police involved, so we did exactly that. For both me and him this was a life changing experience. I never saw him again after that, apparently he moved away to live with his dad. As for me this is where my anger started to show.

Preliminary Idea 3 - Jekyll and Hyde

I want to bring this to life, express these emotions through a self portrait in which show two sides of my personality. I want to show anger inside of me trying to escape the face. Trying to burst out of me in order for me to face the confrontation.



To make it clear of what this is, the image above will be me. I will take lots of pictures of my face half I will do pulling a regular face and the other half I will try my hardest to make myself look legitimately angry. I then want to disect the images and put them over one another a bit like a collage portrait. An example i found afterwards was one done by "Chuck Close".



I really do like this idea but when i create my collage of images I would like it to be more interesting, I would'nt want the placement of the images to line up so accuratley or specifically.

Ok, so what I was thinking is that I would use this idea but using different facial expressions to highlight my inner self. My main idea was to create an image based on bullying and botterling up your anger, hence the Jekyll and Hyde them for the project. Now below is one of my first preliminary ideas which I did by combining images which I had taken on my camera. What I had tried to do was show two different types of emotions. The one which is on the surface and the one that stays deep within. For the people that know me, they should all know that im a very easy going person but deep down I do have anger issues which have developed through botterling up my emotions.

As you can see I tried to have a mixed array of emotions within this image. I know it looks bizzare but I really like it. Although I may not use this as the final self portrait I still think it has character and does give the effect that I was going for. The abstract image reminds me of a digital painting which Picasso might of done if he had the same technoligy as we have, just without the colors.

The image below is another image of me messing around with this style. I have always found in the past that the best way to develop an idea is to mess around with images and create a final idea. This is'nt my final preliminary idea but by using this way to develop ideas I will be able to create different and better portrait ideas.



Idea 2 - Jekyll and Hyde

Another image which I found on the internet and reall liked was the image below. I will be using this image as a reference picture because I love the way it stands out as something different. I personally have never seen an image quite like this one but i must say it reminds me of Harry potter if you get my drift.



Idea 3 - Jekyll and Hyde

I was randomly researching a new book I bought today on portraiture and came up with a new idea of how to show my Jekyll and Hyde themed self portrait.
Im not sure how i found this inspiration because the actuall idea doesn't relate to the book at all, It was just  moment of good thinking.
For this new idea I have decided I wanted to use different sized cubes but to give the portrait a 3 Dimensional look. I came up with this idea below which i could use for the layout of my self portrait.



This is the first rough sketch i had fot this idea. Basically what i want to do is use the cubes to put different parts of the face onto different sides of the cube. If you can see on the right hand side of the cube is the right side of the face. I havn't decided which side i want to be the side which shows the anger.

Not finished............





 

1 comments:

tutorphil said...

Hi Adam,

It takes guts to talk about bullying, so I admire your frankness; and I think the joiner-like approach to conveying the existence of a complexity of feelings is sound. Looking forward to seeing it evolve over the coming days...

Ps - the bullying thing is something I've experienced too - I think most of us have in some form or the other; for my part, it simply gave me strength and an acute sense of empathy and sensitivity for suffering - which is why, I guess, a film like The Elephant Man is important to re-visit.

Post a Comment

 
Powered by Blogger