The programme was about several children aged eight too sixteen who suffer from an identity issue called gender dysphoria.
Many children are usually born with this problem but in most cases children usually grow out of gender confusion. Like the documentary we watched about the first ever facial transplant, is it morally right for a human to have an identity change. If it was up to me I would definitely be in favor of people being allowed to change thier identity only if its completely necessary. What do I mean by this, I mean if plastic surgery and transplants are used to cover scars or defaults in the face then I would agree that people who suffer these problems should be allowed to alter their identities such as Isabelle Dinoire. Are you born straight or gay, some say this all depends on your upbringing but others believe your born with it.
I found this programme very fascinating and touching as it followed the lives of each of the families which struggle with social acceptance all because of their trans gender confusion.
I wondered if it was right that children so young could choose to change their identities at such an early age. Study shows that even children so adamant they want a gender change they will eventually grow out of it. This stems a huge problem for children who choose a different gender path because once they start taking gender blockers the sex change is irreversible.
The story I found most interesting was about a boy called Chris who was previously a young girl. Chris who is sixteen was adament he wanted to alter his identity by becoming a man.
He started taken testosterone at the age of fourteen and looks and talks like a man.
I have put the link for the documentary below, its about forty minutes long but very interesting especially if your like me and you find these things fascinating.
http://www.channel4.com/programmes/bodyshock/4od#2973461
When I watched this documentary the works of "LawickMuller" sprang to mind. Lawick is famous for metamorphosis portraits of couples. The 16 step metamorphosis is from one artists partner to the other. Looking at his portraits I found it very unusual but at the same time fascinating. For me this image puts having a gender change into some sort of perspective. As you look at the steps you are able to see a transformation from male to female. You can see about half way that the male begins to look more feminine, could this be what they would look like s a women, im not sure but it is an unusual concept, knowing a different identity.

0 comments:
Post a Comment