Pages

Saturday, 12 December 2009

The Sarah Connor Chronicles

Just following the post I did about robots and how they can resemble the human likeness really reminded me of one of my all time favorite films and series. As a young boy I was highly fascinated in anything to do with robotics and computers. When I saw the movie Terminator for the first time I was totally amazed. At such a young age you tend to believe anything you see or hear. Something as far fetched as the Terminator totally blew my mind. It was only the other week when Phil mentioned sex dolls and robots such as the ones in my earlier post that I began to realize how this related to my work.

In 1986 James Cameron directed and released an amazing movie. The movie was about a Terminator, a cyborg sent back in time to track down and kill a women by the name of Sarah Connor. Sarah did not know that in years to come her life would be of a great significance, giving birth to a son, a prodigy by the name of John Connor.

The first film is remarkable. A robotic organism covered in human flesh.

It is not until the second movie were you begin to see why this is related into my project. John Connor has been born but this time the same version of the robot sent back in time to kill his mother has been  re-programmed and sent back to protect him from another. It is throughout the film that you begin to see the relationship between John and the robot become very strange. John treats the robot like no other, it would have been like he was a human like the rest of them. He acts the same, talks the same but has no feelings, or does he.

This brings me onto the series I would recommend to anyone. The Terminator: Sarah Connor Chronicles. I am using this series as an example I found to be very alarming. I find it very unusual how a human can love a machine. throughout the first and second series the producers play on there being love between John Connor and his robot guardian, Cameron. Is it possible that a machine can love or has it been programmed to say these things. The first scene I have chossen is at the end of the first series were Cameron, the terminator, damages her chip and decides to try and kill John. Just before john traps the robot and trys to extract the chip from her head she blurts out that she loves him which stops him for a second.
When I first saw this scene I did not know whether I was shocked to here her say this or curious to know whether it was possible. You have a look for yourself and tell me, can robots love.


1 comments:

Adam Bailey said...

Yer same man i felt they should have continued, i also was gutted when it got cancelled.

Post a Comment

 
Powered by Blogger